Sunday, June 16, 2013

Like Father, Like Fumm?

CLUCK, CLUCK, CLUCK!!!


HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!
 
 
All of us here on the Shawhan farm would like to wish all the father's out there a Happy Father's Day! The festivities began in the wee early hours on this Sunday morning, try 5:00 A.M., by the CONSTANT crowing of certain manly roosters. (I can't believe the cops haven't been called to our house yet for disruption of the peace...)
 
As I was feeding a certain little man this morning I noticed, much to my own annoyance, that our roosters wouldn't shut up. Over and over and over again they crowed and crowed and crowed! Part of me wondered if something, or someone, dangerous/deadly was out in the coop with the chickens. I knew it was too early for them to be all mad at us for being let out yet, so I didn't know what the deal was. It just seemed so over-the-top, even for them!
 
Finally a couple of hours later, after a certain little someone finally drifted off to sleep, I went back to my dark and cold hidey hole bedroom and drowned out the constant crowing with the air conditioner until 10 A.M. (Believe it or not, I'm still tired! I even took a nap!)
 
Anyhoo, Dan never mentioned anything scary out there once he turned everyone loose for the day. I didn't notice anything when I went out to do a couple of barn chores. I don't know if the boys were just saluting dads everywhere or if this is a normal occurrence. I guess the next mornings I'm up at 5:00 A.M. I'll try and listen, much to my own annoyance, for their crows, and if so, something may have to be done about it.
 
All throughout his upbringing, little Fumm has crowed after Cad-Buddy and Chicken Hawk. Or maybe Cad-Buddy and Chicken Hawk have to crow after they hear tiny Fumm try and squeak one out.  Either way, once one does it, the other has to follow. I like to think the two older roosters sort of taught Fumm how his voice works, no matter how puny it is. I like to think too that they are his mentors in life...like his dads, who may one day want to kill him, but are so far pretty tolerable. I hope my older boys will be good and will be kind to him...it would make me a proud momma if they did.
 
I just couldn't pass up such observations on a day like Father's Day!
 
 
                                                                                           ...cluck... cluck... cluck...

No comments:

Post a Comment